Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Baguio: My Second Home

No, my ancestors did not come from Baguio. But being brought there every year when I was a little girl probably formed that feeling that Baguio is.

In the later 80s, my grandfather, Daddy Totoy, would bring all of his six children's families to Baguio with him and my grandmother, Mato. Every year around the Independence day weekend, all six families plus the grandparents would travel to the North and go on a vacation. I have to thank Daddy Totoy for giving us that privilege of spending time with our cousins. Daddy would have us stay in a really big two-floor condotel, in Villa Alpino, near Mines View Park. Funny thing is, we usually do the same things every year. We went to Baguio until he was too sick to go up. Daddy had cancer. But even when he was sick, my family would go with him to Baguio. I guess, that's a major reason Baguio always had a place in my heart. We owe it also to Daddy that we, his grandchildren are a lot like brothers and sisters, because of the many times of bonding he provided for us.

Fast forward to the recent years, my family and I would go up to Baguio, but stay in a family friends' place somewhere still near Minesview Park. Until I learned to go to Baguio on my own, with friends.

When we were younger, we would go up to Baguio on a convoy of about six cars. My uncle would provide us with walkie-talkies, my grandmother would give each of us hardboiled eggs for our breakfast on the road. A few stopovers, the most memorable for me is the one in Tarlac, a restaurant where we would have our real breakfast. But I do not remember the name of the place. Haha.

When I went up with friends in the more recent years, we would take the bus from Victory Liner. It was as fun as going up with family.

Now that I have a family of my own, my husband drives through Kennon Road or Marcos Highway to the City of Pines.

There is so much to say about Baguio City. I write about this because of a recent trip last weekend but this time with my fellow brothers and sisters serving the youth of our community.

As I said, I love traveling, I love exploring places and food. Well, not so adventurous about food, but I do like eating as I have mentioned in my earlier posts.

A few places I love going to in Baguio are:

1. Burnham Park
We go there for boating, biking, roller skating/blading (is there such a word?), eating taho (both the regular and strawberry flavor), inihaw na mais, kwek-kwek or fishball.
with my mom near the boating area

biking with my dad watching over me
  
2. Camp John Hay
Back in the days, John Hay had an Ice Cream Parlor, a really cool playground, a mini-golf, and a skating rink. Then as I got older John Hay was more for the new restaurants and shopping and luxury accommodations.

3. The Public Market
Oh wow! The only time I look forward to going to the market. Well, at least, the dry market. When we were younger, cardigans from Baguio was the in thing. All of us cousins would get them, in different colors and patterns. 
And even until now, we would buy fresh strawberries, this peanut butter brand that used to be Enrico's but is now the nameless brand. Thank God we still remember where they are in the market. 
Baguio's famous walis, but they say they are no longer made there. 
And there are the pasalubong: Tantamco and Romana peanut brittle, Rico's lengua de gato, and sometimes the strawberry jam. Sometimes, for pasalubong, I also buy Baguio-made products to give to friends.

4. Mines View Park and Good Shepherd
I put them together because we usually go there for both. Mines View for the view, throwing 25 centavo coins to the locals who might cause tourists a heart attack because they stand balancing on the dangerously inclined mountains of Baguio. Maybe that's the reason many tourists throw coins to them. 
Mines View Park

Mines View is the place for pasalubong also. I remember buying silver jewelry from there. Food trip can also be done there, actually having the same food as Burnham Park.
Good Shepherd: Ube jam, my lola's favorite, strawberry jam, and their strawberry-calamansi drink is a must! Also the view deck is a common photo op place.

5. Food trip!!! My favorite restaurants:

Cafe by the Ruins: a little expensive but really good food and drinks

Pizza Volante: Pizza's are really yummy but so are their pasta and rice meals

O Mai Khan and Cafe Veniz: for sulit monggolian eat-all-you-can (Cafe Veniz has a cheat guide by the way)

Solibao: for your good old lutong bahay that is easy on the pocket

Choco-late de Batirol: need I say more? A warm cup of tsokolate on a cold place = perfect! It is a garden, by the way.
Family time in Choco-late de Batirol
Forest House Bistro and Cafe: I've only gone here once, yet, I never forgot about it. Really good selection of wine. Maybe the good company plus free drinks made it unforgettable.

A new place I tried this weekend, Caffe Picarre. It is owned by a brother from our community. They serve really good pasta and cakes. It is a high end kind of cafe located in SM Baguio. But if you come from Manila, truth is, the prices are actually not expensive. Honestly, I try to avoid going to SM when in Baguio, but Caffe Picarre gives me a reason to go there. Oh yes, and do some grocery shopping. 
Caffe Picarre's Display of Cakes and Pastries

I know there are more, but these are ones that stay with me and I never get tired to go back to these places, each time I go up.


Two years ago, my hubby and I stayed at Microtel by Wyndham Baguio. It is a decent budget-friendly hotel. I heard from a friend that The Manor in Camp John Hay gives great discounts during off-peak season. And I hear that it is one of the excellent places to stay when in Baguio.

If I had a past life, maybe I originated from Baguio. In the years to come, I do hope my kids would love Baguio the way I do. Yes, it is more polluted and traffic is crazy. But I still choose to come home to the City of Pines. I do hope I continue to come up for a visit every year.

More of my journeys to come... do continue to take the ride with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment