Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Where Motherhood has Brought Me So Far

A little over nine months after giving birth, I am still uncertain of things. I am still asking questions. I am still learning how it is to be a mother. Sometimes, I still find myself amazed that I have this charming little boy and he's ours forever. But it can also be overwhelming because everything that we do, to, for and with him will impact him forever. It is truly a blessing and a privilege to be called to the vocation of marriage and motherhood.

Today, I wish to share about the beginning of this journey of motherhood. A journey that is awesome and beautiful for its share of pleasures and pains, triumphs and trials.

Simpler life. I read an article that said, having a child makes life simpler. It is true! 

For one, I learned to pay more attention to budgeting, to our finances. We had to adjust our lifestyle and live a simpler life. Simplicity is relative though. For us, we had to cut down on a lot of things. Especially when I decided to take a leave from work for year. Our income was cut to half. So, we rarely eat out nowadays. I had to kinda give up my always-wanting-to-try-something-new drive when it comes to food and restaurants. It was, it is, a struggle! 

Like I shared in my previous post, I had to change the way I did my groceries.
I had to lessen my me-time. I used to go to the nail salon every two weeks, now I go when I can see that we have a little extra, or if I really need it already. 
I often have to say no to those impulsive cravings or desire to buy not-so-important things for myself.

Simpler life called for simpler schedule as well. We learned to say no. We learned to prioritize. We also learned to rest a little more. Well, sometimes.

Simpler life made us take joy in simple things, as well. Little victories, such as hearing our son giggle for the first time, or being treated by my siblings for dinner.
Dinner c/o my younger brother and sister in Project Pie

Deeper relationships. Motherhood, and even homemaking life, led me to deepen bonds with amazing women. I would spend time chatting with old friends or family over Viber or Facebook, or even meet up with them, talking about the rewards and challenges that come with this vocation. I really enjoy learning from others' experiences. I really find it a blessing that there are others who started the journey ahead of me. And I am equally grateful that I have women who are currently on the same boat with me.

I also learned to be more understanding and less judgmental of others. I realize that people are raised differently and people raise their children differently. That we have to respect. This made me kinder towards others. I pause and try to see where they are coming from or what they are going through. This teaches me also to become a better wife and mother to my own.
Playdate photo session and bonding with cousins
(L to R) My son Noah, Elijah at the back, and Paco with mama, my MOH, Coco
Stronger faith. Because everything is uncertain, every child is different, and no one really has all the answers to motherhood, the only best person I can rely on is my God. With Him, I am certain. With Him, I am confident. I always tell Him in prayer, "You called me to this life, You brought me this far, I give it all back to You." And He just does wonders. When my son is sick, I just pray. When our finances are tighter, I just pray. When I feel tired of doing all that I am doing, I just pray. It doesn't mean life is easier on me. Well, maybe a little, maybe a lot. But amazingly, I guess, He just works and He answers. The little boy starts feeling better. My generous lola gives some money randomly. My in-laws send us food for lunch. And I could still go on. 

Faith is stronger because it wasn't also easy keeping it strong. The demands of the home and the little boy wasn't predictable for someone who is a first timer. It was difficult to pray, to find time to be with my God and just be there. The little boy needs to feed, time to cook lunch already, something in the house needs my immediate attention, etc, etc. It's a little predictable now. Thank you, Lord!

Motherhood simply made me grow in my faith.

A more grateful heart. Motherhood made me a better person (PERIOD)

If motherhood were a flight, I would say, I just lifted off the runway and am starting to see the view. And the journey continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment